Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Jetplane Lessons

So now that I'm leaving on a jet plane for my great adventure, I feel like reflecting on what I've learned so far:

Saying goodbye sucks. That must be why people write sappy songs about it (not like that helps).

Packing builds character. 'Cut the fat.' 'Make tough decisions.'

NO ONE has heard of Kyrgyzstan.

We all take the internet for granted. Yes, all of us.

I think that I am way funnier than I actually am. I crack myself up.

The word 'peace' means many different things to different people. For some it's powerful beyond measure. For others, it's lost all of its significance and intent.

People can be much more generous with their enthusiasm and support than you'd think. Especially considering the current state of the economy and global relations.

Nostalgia is a confusing emotion, more akin to a medical condition. It's equally harsh as it is sweet, equally manipulative as it is endearing. Beware.

People all have their own reasons for over-indulgence. Those who are gifted enough can really rationalize anything. That's why a little self-control goes a long way.

Let go of fear. Do it. And then change becomes infinitely more exciting. It is that easy.

When The Cure sang 'Boys Don't Cry,' they were being ironic.

My back is going to be killing me after schlepping these bags across the planet. Even with the best intentions, packing 'light' eludes me.

You can only see the best in people when you're looking for the best in people.


So many more lessons to be learned...none more important than: the journey is the reward.

1 comment:

CodeNameGazelle said...

You are indeed a wise traveler. Way to go on making the first step of this amazing journey!

<3 CNG